Thursday, November 8, 2007

1.) ...by placing the source of artistic creativity at the female genitals, [Carolee] Schneemann is changing the masculine overtones of minimalist art and conceptual art into a feminist exploration of her body.

I have a question, for females in particular: does minimalist art have masculine overtones (and if so, how)? Reading this surprised me: it's not something I had really considered.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolee_Schneeman#Interior_Scroll

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2.) Three events upcoming:

November 9, 8 pm
Concert: Gayle Young and Guests: Tuning Victoria
Open Space 510 Fort Street
Tickets: $10/$12
Mictrotonal composed and improvised music for Young’s instruments amaranth and columbine in collaboration with a mixed ensemble of local musicians and featuring a new work created and recorded in Victoria using tuned tubing.


Workshop: Music Improvisation - a European Perspective
Presenters: Achim Kaufmann, Frank Gratkowski, (Holland) and Wilbert de Joode (Germany)
Date: Sunday November 25, 5 pm, Victoria Conservatory of Music, Wood Hall
$5
This trio (piano, clarinets, saxophone, string bass) are seasoned improvising chamber musicians working extensively in the European milieu. The trio is equally adept when focusing on discursive strategies or emphasizing timbrel (Arabic percussion) explorations, both of which will be discussed during the workshop.
The Trio Kaufmann/Gratkowski/de Joode will perform a concert at 8 pm at Wood Hall the same evening.
Tickets $10/$12


Music Improvisation Workshops: Quantal Strife
Presenters: Jeff Morton, Cathy Lewis and Tina Pearson
Date: November 19, 7 pm, Open Space
Date: November 26 , 7pm, Open Space
Date: December 3, 7pm, Open Space
$5
This trio of local sound artists offers an exploration of improvisation practices and techniques from their wide-ranging work in new music. Sessions will include investigations of graphic scores, sonic meditation, an exploration and extension of vocal expression, electro-acoustic explorations and philosophies of improvisation practice and performance. The workshops will also merge ideas and elements from the upcoming Open Space visual arts installation Quantal Strife, curated by Sally McKay.


from http://openspace.ca/web/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

3.) There's a buoy here [in Victoria] in the summer that I like to swim out to and wrap my legs around and float with my head in the water. I took my girlfriend there and she loves it too, and we figured out how we can both wrap our legs around it and float together.

from: I'm not going to say where.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4.) http://iuft.blogspot.com/2006/11/green-telephones-intervention-ongoing.html

Green telephones.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5.) There's something exceeding vile about fluxus, neo-dada, stuckism, .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6.) I'm sorry. These blog posts have been getting longer and longer and there's no way anyone is still reading them, but that's fun too.

This cracked me up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%2733%22

Especially the part about Mike Batt at the end:
"I have been able to say in one minute what Cage could only say in four minutes and 33 seconds."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

7.) I wish this blog could become at least three dimensional. Like a series of boxes you could tunnel into, rather than a listing series of such. But alas I am not up to speed on the latest web technologies.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6 1/2.) Cage later wrote in his lecture Indeterminacy: "After I had been studying with him for two years, Schoenberg said, 'In order to write music, you must have a feeling for harmony.' I explained to him that I had no feeling for harmony. He then said that I would always encounter an obstacle, that it would be as though I came to a wall through which I could not pass. I said, 'In that case I will devote my life to beating my head against that wall'." Schoenberg later described Cage as being 'not a composer, but an inventor — of genius".

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cage#Apprenticeship




No comments: