Wednesday, December 12, 2007

1.) Do you know the song Hey There Delilah? It's by the Plain White T's and they play it on the Ocean. It's not really worth checking out, but the story is kind of fun.

"When I'm at the gym, it's playing; when I'm at the pool, it's playing. Part of me wants to scream at the top of my lungs that it's about me. Another part of me wants to cower and say it's not."

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_There_Delilah#Inspiration_and_composition

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What's the matter with me,
I don't have much to say,
Daylight sneaking through the window
and I'm still in this all-night cafe.
Walking to and fro beneath the moon
out to where the trucks are rolling slow,
to sit down on this bank of sand
and watch the river flow.


http://bobdylan.com/moderntimes/songs/riverflow.html

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

3.) January Cinecenta
February Cinecenta

These look pretty exciting.
By the way, I saw I'm Not There while in New York this past weekend.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~


The Pickton Trial with guilty verdict. The shirts say "Count 1 = Guilty / Count 2 = Guilty" etc.

What the fuck is this, a fucking circus? a tennis match?


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5.) http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=de639e3a-81c9-492d-88d8-13d2e5b4c655&k=15317
Ah yes, the Province.
I like the part about:
the man [Robert Dziekanski] could have been suffering from a condition known as "excited delirium."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6.) "Mind is eternal, in so far as it apprehends an object under the species of eternity."
- Spinoza, Ethics (as quoted in Campbell's Creative Mythology)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

7.) I do not quite understand what it is that compels me to type this letter. Perhaps it is to leave some vague reason for the actions I have recently performed. I do not really understand myself these days. I am supposed to be an average reasonable and intelligent young man. However, lately (I cannot recall when it started) I have been a victim of many unusual and irrational thoughts.

To Whom It May Concern: I have just taken my mother's life. I am very upset over having done it. However, I feel that if there is a heaven she is definitely there now...I am truly sorry...Let there be no doubt in your mind that I loved this woman with all my heart.

I imagine it appears that I brutally killed both of my loved ones. I was only trying to do a quick thorough job...If my life insurance policy is valid please pay off my debts...donate the rest anonymously to a mental health foundation. Maybe research can prevent further tragedies of this type.


Charles Whitman, who climbed a tower at the University of Texas in Austin in 1966 and opened fire, sniper style, to kill 14 and wound 31.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman#Leadup_to_the_shootings

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

8.) He fancied himself an oral jazzman. His ideal was to walk out there like Charlie Parker, take that mike in his hand like a horn and blow, blow, blow everything that came into his head just as it came into his head with nothing censored, nothing translated, nothing mediated, until he was pure mind, pure head sending out brainwaves like radio waves into the heads of every man and woman seated in that vast hall. Sending, sending, sending, he would finally reach a point of clairvoyance where he was no longer a performer but rather a medium transmitting messages that just came to him from out there -- from recall, fantasy, prophecy. A point at which, like the practitioners of automatic writing, his tongue would outrun his mind and he would be saying things he didn't plan to say, things that surprised, delighted him, cracked him up -- as if he were a spectator at his own performance!

Lenny Bruce's performance on February 3, 1961 at the Carnegie Hall as seen by critic Albert Goldman.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Bruce#Career

~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Phil Spector

Stories of Phil Spector's gunplay mounted over the years, including his discharging a firearm while in the studio with John Lennon during the recording of his cover album Rock 'n' Roll, placing a loaded pistol at Leonard Cohen's head during the sessions for Death of a Ladies' Man, and forcing Dee Dee Ramone to play bass guitar to Spector's specifications at gunpoint. Cohen told "Rolling Stone" magazine in 1978 that, "Phil couldn't resist annihilating me. I don't think he can tolerate any other shadows in his darkness."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spector#Eccentricity

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

10.)... If rape or arson, poison, or the knife
Has wove no pleasing patterns in the stuff
Of this drab canvas we accept as life—
It is because we are not bold enough!


Charles Baudelaire, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Baudelaire#Life_and_work




1 comment:

waterdancinside said...

Welcome to Adam, Jenya, and Kait. A blog, 'tis.