Thursday, November 22, 2007

1.) I took a small fall on my bicycle this morning on the way to work, as the tires hit some ice and I hit the pavement. It was an odd experience and the first thing I noticed was how drastically one's awareness is reduced in this type of situation: I remember shoulder-checking over my left shoulder, I remember starting to turn the bicycle, I think or seem to remember looking down and noticing something -- perhaps that the tires were sliding instead of turning. The next thing I remember is semi-sitting on the road thinking I should get up. The other four observations are as follows:

1. It seems my body knows what to do as I did not hit my head. This could also have to do with the way that I fell: sliding. Or the reason why awareness shut down.
2. The other observation is that in my cases it seems rare to actually land on the bicycle when one falls. I guess this maybe makes sense as you and the bike have different properties as such, but I guess I often forget this when bicycling: it feels like more of a unity and that falling might anger the bicycle, causing it to want to be under you as you come tumbling down.
3. Falling off of a bicycle makes for a good story. Or at least it starts the engine of the story-producing hungry gears somewhere within.
4. Thrill seekers. But it seems to be related to awareness shutting down, a conservation of sorts, kind of like a turtle. A straight-edge razor wave of adrenalin, or something smooth. I'm probably simplifying here, but that's what we get.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2.) Δόξα Πατρὶ καὶ Υἱῷ καὶ Ἁγίῳ Πνεύματι,
καὶ νῦν καὶ ἀεὶ καὶ εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων. Ἀμήν.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

3.) "Between three and four in the morning, the phone rang," Herzog recalled. "It took me at least a couple of minutes before I realized that it was Kinski who was the source of this inarticulate screaming. And after an hour of this, it dawned on me that he found it the most fascinating screenplay and wanted to be Aguirre."

On one occasion, irritated by the noise from a hut where cast and crew were playing cards, the explosive Kinski fired three shots at it, blowing the top joint off one extra's finger. Subsequently, Kinski started leaving the jungle location (over Herzog's refusal to fire a sound assistant), only changing his mind after Herzog threatened to shoot first Kinski and then himself.


from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aguirre%2C_the_Wrath_of_God#Herzog_and_Kinski

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4.) Nuts. I feel the blog lost a bit of steam after the Rothko-Cage-minimalists posts. Oh well, carry on. To the realm of Mercury Rev, for a brief visit.

Tony Conrad (see November 1st, #4: he has ties with the minimalist composers) was the "academic mentor" of Mercury Rev. Mercury Rev also has some connections with the Flaming Lips, with whom I'm not too familiar. Anyway, check out the following quote, and also I think it would be interesting for me to check this out (Paralyzed Mind of the Archangel Void):
http://wm05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:apfwxquhldae.

...the performances, mounted without any practice sessions, constantly teetered on the brink of disintegration -- set lists were nonexistent, and Baker frequently hopped off the stage (in midsong, no less) to grab a drink. Additionally, the group was reportedly banned from air travel after Donahue attempted to gouge out Grasshopper's eye with a spoon in mid-flight. Following the tour, Mercury Rev again went their separate ways; the members found menial jobs, moved in with their parents, or earned money by participating in medical experiments.

from http://wm05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:09fyxqw5ldse~T1

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5.) Mercury Rev to Dream Pop somehow to Sigur Rós.

Sigur Rós joined Radiohead in October 2003, to compose music for Merce Cunningham's (see November 19: a dancer, John Cage's partner) dance piece Split Sides.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigur_R%C3%B3s#.28_.29_.282002.29




No comments: